Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Day 28

Last summer I used to give money to a man that held a sign that said “Good Karma for $1”. At the time I thought it was a really unique and positive way to ask for money instead of the sad signs I have seen about hunger, out of work, broke etc. I have seen that man a lot this past year and he seemed to have lost hope. 

Today I finally got the courage to talk to him more deeply than just hello. First I gave him $5 so that seemed to make him smile but then I asked if I could talk to him for a minute. I said I know I can give him money whenever I am walking by, but will that really help him? I told him he is a young, intelligent guy that has his whole life ahead of him and how it saddened me to see him on the street this past year when I know that he would have dreams of doing so much more. I said that last year when I saw him his sign was "Good Karma", and now it says "I need $20 no place to live", so I could tell that he had given up hope. I asked him what could I do to really make a difference in his life? I think I caught him off guard as he didn’t know what to say. I asked him if he needed clothes, food, supplies, help with his resume, someone to help him search for jobs on the job bank? Was he aware of all the supports that are available to help him get back on his feet? 


I didn't just stand there and ask him questions, we had a good conversation and he said he is hoping to have a job in June. I told him that I used to manage the Homelessness Initiatives at Service Canada and I knew enough about what was available to him so that if he wanted, I could tell him more about these programs.

At the end I said that I see him often but never introduced myself to him and then I shook his hand. He said his name was Eddy. I told Eddy to think about my offer to help him and that I would come talk to him again the next time I saw him. He seems like a really nice person, I am not sure if I made a difference for him today by showing that I cared. I really tried my best.

No comments:

Post a Comment