Friday, May 24, 2013

Day 24

Last night after I finished my blog post, I went outside and saw a busker playing a bango with a cute little dog. I ran in and got $5 and a baggie full of dog biscuits and went over to hear her sing and play. She smiled and thanked me, her pup was very excited for the treats. I talked to her for a few minutes and asked if I could take a picture of her and her dog. After I took the photo I saw a piece of cardboard laying on the ground and my face fell and heart sank. Here I thought she was an undiscovered musician (she was so talented) busking from city to city, but it turns out she was a “broke and hungry” traveller. I felt awful and asked her if I could do anything for her. She said she would love a sandwich. I said I would be right back and went home to make her one.

Jerry and I put together a little “care package” for Sonya and her dog Bronco. We gave her a cloth shopping bag full of  sandwiches, tangerines, bananas, orange juice, water, oatmeal, yogurt, cottage cheese, tea, apple sauce, puddings, crackers, dog food and $10 more dollars.
She was so grateful when I gave it to her, and she didn’t want to accept the money but I insisted. We talked for a while and shared stories, I really bonded with her and wished her well on her travels and that I hoped I would get to see her again someday.


 Now I know some of you reading this may think that I have been scammed. To be honest, it wouldn’t hurt me if I found out she was scamming me. I was just happy to be able to offer her kindness, and if I second guess everyone I see on the street how will I be able to help the ones that really do need my kindness? Jerry saw her this morning and she had the shopping bag I gave her last night. It made me happy to have connected with her and her dog.

Now to get to today’s kindness… :) Last night I baked 24 red velvet cupcakes thinking I would bring some in to my colleagues in the morning for a Friday treat.  This morning I woke up and decided to send out a little kindness tweet:

“If you know someone in the downtown core that would like a red velvet cupcake to brighten their day – please let me know :) #RAOK”

Well I got lots of replies and had a full morning of deliveries before work. First stop was to see @PEIPaulAlan radio host for Magic 93.1. When I arrived I put the cream cheese icing and sprinkles on it. All of a sudden he said, we are on the air in 20 seconds…!! So my cupcake delivery turned into a little interview about my 31 days of kindness blog.  It was such a surprise and really thoughtful of Paul :)

Next I delivered a cupcake to @Jpick87 at the Travel Store, @peihouses at Eastern College, then @rick_gallant asked me to deliver one to CIBC Wood Gundy to “the best assistant in the world” – it really made her day, she was so surprised that he did that for her!

I then gave three to the commissionaires at work, some to my colleagues, three to the staff at David’s tea and one to @meregirl. It is amazing how everyone smiles when it comes to beautiful little cupcakes – myself included :)


 At noon today I realized I had taken the scissors from Paul’s colleague at the radio station (had to cut the icing bag open to decorate Paul’s cupcake) so when I was returning the scissors I brought his colleague back a mango madness David's iced tea to make up for my little theft. She was very appreciative :)

No comments:

Post a Comment