Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Day 22

Today was an amazing day! I couldn’t wipe the smile off my face for even a minute.  I am not sure if it is because I am surrounding myself with my new Himalayan rock lamp for hours at a time at work or just happy with life in general.

This morning I ran into my grade 7 band teacher, I haven’t seen him since the end of grade 9 and he remembered my name and gave me a big hug like long, lost friends. We talked for about 10 minutes catching up and he asked when I played the clarinet last (I can’t believe he even remembered what instrument I played with all the students he had over the years). Sadly I haven’t picked up a clarinet since grade 12 but he told me about this concert band he started that meets once a week and he said I was welcome to join them. I think that would be so fun as I always wanted to learn to play Saxaphone (very similar to clarinet) so this could be my opportunity. I will have the summer to brush up before they play together again in the fall. I have been learning to play the guitar through an online course at Berklee College of Music so at least I am getting brushed up again on all the notes.

Anyways back on point, I had on my list of RAOKs that I wanted to reach out to someone that made a difference in my life, and here was my opportunity. I told Mr. Fitzgerald that I was so grateful to him for being such an inspirational and enthusiastic teacher. Everybody loved him so much and that he was such a genuine, kind-hearted  teacher that wanted his students to reach their potential. I said how incredible it was to run into him today after all these years and thanked him for everything. I am really considering  joining his band, sure would be cool to see Mr. Fitz again every week just like old times.


 Today I received my first assignment from itstartswith.us the group I joined last week:

Smile at others 25 times today.  It can be at family, friends, co-workers or (maybe even better) at complete strangers.  Just smile 25 times at others and at least a few times to yourself, maybe?

This was the easiest kindness assignment for me as I had a perma-smile all day long. Even people that looked a bit grumpy smiled back at me while walking towards each other on the street. Kindness is contagious, just smiling or saying hi (even though it can some days feel awkward) can make a difference for someone.

Tonight I received a note from a non-connection on LinkedIn who saw a comment I made on an inspirational video that one of my connections shared this morning. It was so out of the blue but yet it was really thoughtful. He said he read my comment and that I have such a big heart, and that my comment made his day. It was really nice getting a random compliment from someone I didn’t know – true kindness in action :)



No comments:

Post a Comment