Sunday, May 12, 2013

Day 12

Happy Mother’s Day to all the fabulous Moms out there :) I am beyond grateful for my amazing Mom, I couldn’t imagine my life without her. She is the most inspiring, kind, genuine  and supportive person in my life. She brightens the lives of everyone she touches.

I decided today to do something for my best friend’s Mom who passed away in February. She was an organ donor and saved so many lives with her donation. I thought I would give back and also become a donor as I have heard recently that even if your license and health card say you are a donor, if you don’t fill out a registration they can’t take your donation.

I did a bit of research and it is Service Ontario that requires you to fill out the registration. PEI is different, so it turns out I have been an organ donor since I was 16 because of the little heart on my driver’s license and the red square sticker on my health card. That made me happy!
I also would love to be able to give blood since my Dad was in a terrible car accident when I was 4 months old and he was unconscious for 11 days. It was the dedicated blood donors that saved his life. I am so grateful for them.  I went through the whole process of donating blood a few months ago but when they tried to get a visible vein for the 16 gauge needle, 3 nurses could not find one that would work. They are only allowed one try with the needle and if they miss they can’t try again, even in the other arm. Sadly it didn’t work but I won’t give up hope and will try again soon.

This morning I found this initiative that really warmed my heart.  “The world needs more love letters” won the 2013 Kindness Challenge and the co-founder’s story really inspired me.


Hannah Brencher began writing love letters to strangers on the New York City 4 train in October 2010. After becoming mildly obsessed with planting love letters all over the city, she extended the offer of love letters out into the world wide web and began writing love letters to people she will probably never meet. After spending nearly one year writing 400 love letters to strangers, "More Love Letters" was born. The organization writes and mails handwritten love letters to strangers in need all over the world. You can request a love letter for someone in your life who needs one and you can also join in and write letters to strangers too.


I love to write and even though I am a minimalist I have a whole chest full of stationary, thank you notes and cards. I have never stopped my “old fashioned” hand written gratitude and thank you notes, and people have always appreciated receiving them. I can only imagine how amazing it would be to brighten up the day of someone who is going through a rough time, when they open up a letter from you that is full of love, encouragement and support.

I got so excited about it that I signed up right away to be part of the team, I also signed up to be a blogger ambassador – I hope I get chosen.  They send you a weekly email with the details and then you start writing your personalized letters to each individual. I already got a head start and wrote three letters this morning :) It made this rainy day feel like pure sunshine.


There's no such thing as a small act of kindness... every act creates a ripple with no logical end.

No comments:

Post a Comment