Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Day 15

Today I took my lunch break early and went to the Soup Kitchen at 11am. I wanted to drop off a big bag of combs, brushes, toothbrushes, toothpaste, floss, chapsticks and bandaids. I know there is a Survival Centre in Charlottetown and they receive funding for supplies so I thought it would be nice for the Soup Kitchen to have some supplies too. The place was packed so they were going to put the items in baskets and let people take what they need. I felt good knowing the items would be appreciated by many.

When I arrived I went back to the kitchen and saw that they had two huge pots of soup cooking on the stove. Now I know it is called the "Soup Kitchen" but I didn’t really think they served soup. I volunteered there several times over the past five years during the evening and we cooked all kinds things - but never soup. My very first time using a barbecue was at the Soup Kitchen and I cooked 75 hamburgers and 50 hot dogs. I was a natural at the barbecue, only one hamburger was returned that had red in the middle – not bad for my first time ;).

It was always such a rewarding feeling giving my time to prepare meals for those in need. Being back at the soup kitchen today made me realize I need to volunteer there more often. 



No comments:

Post a Comment