Saturday, May 11, 2013

Day 11

The new summer menu came out at David’s tea so I decided to go pick up an iced tea for my friend as she had to work inside on this beautiful warm day. I passed by a homeless man with a cardboard sign that said “spare change, have a nice day”.  I decided I would pick up an ice tea for him as well.

When I brought him his iced tea he was so shocked and didn’t know what to say. Then he said,  “Wow I have never tried this before, thank you so much you kind dear”. I didn’t make it seem like I was giving it to him because he was holding a sign asking for spare change, it was more like I had just given it to a friend. He seemed happy that I didn’t give him the tea because I felt sorry for him but that I was just trying to brighten his day. 

Then I took the other iced tea to my friend, she really appreciated it and I had a good little visit with her. She even sent me a really sweet note afterwards to thank me for the tea, the spur of the moment visit and for being a good friend. That meant a lot to me.

Later that day I was at Sobey’s picking up a few things to take to a friend’s barbecue. The lady in front of me asked if I had an air miles card as she wanted to give her points to me. It caught me off guard, and then I realized she was paying it forward to me - so sweet of her.

For my random kindness today I bought a big bag full of colouring books and boxes of crayons for the pediatric unit and several large print word-find and crossword books for the seniors at the hospital. Although I didn’t get to bring the items to each of the patients myself, it felt good to know that at some point tonight some kids that are scared at the hospital may be taking their mind off things by colouring a pretty picture with the books and crayons. And that a senior who may have trouble reading the newspaper can keep their mind off their illness by doing a crossword with large print so they don’t have to squint at the pages. I hope it will make their time in the hospital go by a little bit faster for them. 



No comments:

Post a Comment